One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Undernourishment causing a child's weight to be significantly low for their age.
- ‘HIV infection predisposes children to develop severe malnutrition, although this is more commonly manifest as marasmus than kwashiorkor.’
- ‘Clinical impression of wasting of musculature of the limbs, but not severe enough to describe the child as suffering from marasmus was classified as emaciation.’
- ‘Cases of marasmus, which causes children to waste away, increased more than 50-fold.’
- ‘Prevalence of clinical protein energy malnutrition in the form of marasmus was found in 6 children, while Kwashiorkor was not recorded.’
- ‘Patients with marasmus present with severe weight loss and wasting of both muscle and adipose tissue.’
Mid 17th century: modern Latin, from Greek marasmos ‘withering’, from marainein ‘wither’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.