One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An evergreen Californian dwarf shrub related to the bearberry.
Genus Arctostaphylos, family Ericaceae: several species
- ‘They're also checking related species - chestnuts, beeches, and chinquapins - as well as rhododendron and huckleberry relatives: manzanitas, cranberries, and more.’
- ‘Drought-tolerant shrubs range from manzanita, cotoneaster and rockrose to toyon, huckleberry and other varieties of ceanothus.’
- ‘Now a gorgeous 3-mile trail runs up and over the hills, past soap-root, buckeyes, and manzanitas and across a babbling brook.’
- ‘Farther upland, usually between 3,000 and 5,000 feet, is chaparral, where scrub oaks, manzanitas, and various other shrubs join cacti and yuccas.’
- ‘Cheatgrass, sagebrush, manzanita, and ponderosa pine are all part of the volatile ground fuels mix that surrounds the fast-growing city.’
Mid 19th century: from Spanish, diminutive of manzana ‘apple’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.