Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A handle-shaped projection or part, in particular.
- ‘The lenticular process is substantially longer than the arm of the manubrium which connects the tympanum to the articular facet.’
- ‘The manubrium sometimes extends to the insertion of the third costal cartilages.’
- ‘The retroarticular process of the articular persists only as the tiny manubrium which remains in contact with the tympanic membrane as it presumably did in Probainognathus.’
- ‘Some twenty minutes after the accident the patient used a spoonlike earpick to remove a bony fragment from deep in his ear canal and we identified this as the malleus that had been fractured at its manubrium.’
- 1.1The broad upper part of the sternum of mammals, with which the clavicles and first ribs articulate.
- ‘The medial-caudal migration pathway forms the thymopharyngeal tract, which runs from the angle of the mandible to the manubrium of the sternum bilaterally.’
- ‘This approach involves incising the skin and subcutaneous tissue overlying the sternum, sawing longitudinally through the manubrium, body, and xiphoid process of the sternum, and cutting into the pericardial sacs.’
- ‘All rhinolophoids have an ossified first costal cartilage fused to the manubrium and first rib.’
- ‘It's just possible to make out the Angle of Louis, the ridge in the middle of the sword-shaped breastbone where its immature plates, the manubrium and sternal body fused.’
- ‘The right and left parts of the muscle are joined by a tendon that arises from the manubrium of the sternum.’
- 1.2The tube which bears the mouth of a coelenterate.
Mid 17th century (in the sense ‘handle’): from Latin, haft.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.