One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A test for immunity to tuberculosis using intradermal injection of tuberculin.
- ‘The controls were selected from the medical outpatient department based on normal haemogram, normal liver and renal function tests, a normal chest radiograph and a negative Mantoux test.’
- ‘The results of the Mantoux test may be falsely negative in severe malnutrition.’
- ‘The Mantoux test is the preferred tool to use for tuberculosis skin testing.’
- ‘Results of a Mantoux test and sputum test for acid-fast bacilli were negative.’
- ‘Physicians should read the Mantoux test at 48 to 72 hours after application because parents and other lay persons do not have the ability to read the test results accurately.’
1930s: named after Charles Mantoux (1877–1947), French physician.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.