One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Instead of grace, there has come in many women an affectation of mannishness, as is shown in hats, jackets, long strides, and a healthful swinging of the arms in walking.’
- ‘It is unfortunate that society links women's sports with mannishness.’
- ‘Men started to denounce the ‘mannishness’ of women and became obsessed by images of the femme fatale.’
- ‘She does, however, excel at tapping into her inner mannishness.’
- ‘She often wrote letters to the editor, one in which she expressed dismay at the bobbed hair trend, stating ‘it lends an appearance of coarseness, grossness and mannishness that should be entirely foreign to the feminine feature.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.