Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A brief one-piece bathing garment for men, with a T-back.‘he wandered down the beach in his mankini, to the amazement of onlookers’
- ‘Signature services include the Mankini bikini wax ($50) and the Multi-Tasker, during which clients receive a chair-side manicure while getting a haircut ($55).’
- ‘Borat's mankini loops around the neck and plunges down to an emphatic pouch.’
- ‘Never mind that your average youth will hit you in the head or laugh at you out loud when you are wearing a mankini, the one thing he won't be is scared or offended by it.’
- ‘IT would probably be wise to leave the green mankinis at home if you fancy following England to Kazakhstan.’
- ‘England fans have been banned from wearing Borat's "mankini" to the national team's match with Kazakhstan at Wembley.’
- ‘Carrey's mankini is just another American version of a funnier Brit thing.’
- ‘Nice mankini, one of my female workmates reckoned.’
- ‘This excludes, of course, precisely those people who can't afford their gas bill and usually live in houses with the insulating qualities of a mankini.’
- ‘The Professional Footballers' Association-linked sportswear firm has even offered £50 for the best mankini photo.’
- ‘The policemen should offer to apply sunscreen on the mankini boys instead of booking them (unless as models).’
- ‘Twenty Borats took Wembley Stadium by storm dressed in mankinis ahead of England's clash with Kazakhstan.’
- ‘Reminiscent of Borat's unforgettable lime-green mankini, Carrey's attention-seeking garment failed to impress style commentator Peter York.’
Early 21st century: blend of man and bikini.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.