One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A native or inhabitant of Manipur.
- ‘But there are many ordinary Manipuris who are growing tired of the rebels’ influence.’
- ‘The Manipuris rarely perform at any festival which is not accompanied by dance, music and song.’
- ‘According to the tradition, the Manipuris drown the remains of the old house in the river.’
- ‘Like traditional Hindus, Manipuris celebrate New Year's Day in the second week of April.’
- ‘Early Manipuris were followers of Hinduism, and believed in the hierarchy of the Gods.’
- ‘Even though Manipuris are Hindu, the Indian caste system is not the basis of social stratification.’
- ‘As a result Manipuris, Nagas and Mizos are often asked if they are Chinese, Japanese or from some other Southeast Asian country.’
- ‘During an interaction session, she listed various aspects of the dance in relation to the day-to-day life of the Manipuris.’
- ‘After all, in which other sport do you see an Oraon or a Munda or a Santhal or a Manipuri go on to be the captain of the national team?’
- ‘Also known as the Meithei, the Manipuri are of Mongolian descent and speak a language called Meithei.’
- ‘The people of the district are mostly Manipuris excepting small numbers of non-manipuris living in the district.’
- ‘To save their motherland, the Manipuris fought very bravely under the direction of Tikendrajit.’
- ‘As the Manipuris get on with their daily life, Sharmila, now called the ‘iron lady’, may soon be forgotten.’
2mass noun The official language of Manipur, which belongs to the Tibeto-Burman family.
- ‘This year - the 19th in the Festival's history - audiences can look forward to plays in Oriya, Panjabi, Manipuri, Urdu and Tamil, besides Bengali and Hindi.’
- ‘The women's movement in the State can be traced back to 1939 when the Nupi Lan, which means women's war in Manipuri, was launched against the oppressive policies of the then Maharaja and his British agent.’
- ‘International productions are a huge attraction but so are plays in languages from Manipuri to Malayalam.’
- ‘Textbooks and other, materials often don't get prepared in other languages like Manipuri.’
- ‘There will plays in Manipuri, Kanannda, Bengali and Tamil.’
Relating to the people of Manipur or their language.
- ‘The finale was truly novel in that both Odissi and Manipuri dancers came together to perform a jugalbandi, a friendly competition.’
- ‘Manipuri students perform the ‘Pavgal Jogai’ dance at the Youth Festival.’
- ‘On the cards are displays of ethnic dances, ballet, musical performances and Manipuri poetry readings.’
- ‘Having your web site available in the Manipuri language will widen your readership and drastically improve the effectiveness of your marketing messages.’
- ‘Even before this, Manipuri women had protested against forced labour and the increase in the water tax.’
- ‘What provoked the Manipuri women to protest in this unheard of manner was the custodial death of a 32-year-old Manipuri woman.’
- ‘The costume of the Manipuri dancer is always simple, clean and elegant.’
- ‘Noted Manipuri poet, writer, novelist, literary and cultural activist, he passed away on July 13, 2003 in a tragic jeep accident near Imphal.’
- ‘Neighbouring Manipur also has a strong Vaishnavite tradition as reflected in Manipuri dance.’
- ‘The duo plans to write books on little known classical arts such as Manipuri dance and Assamese Sattraga and follow up with folk arts.’
- ‘The present upsurge of the Manipuri people would be marked in history also by the way in which women played a leading role in furthering the movement.’
- ‘It also throws light on the strong character of the Manipuri women who are known for their hard work and selflessness.’
- ‘There is a belief that Radha and Krishna were the original author and creator of Manipuri Dance.’
- ‘Thiyam draws from the beauty of the North East to interpret Kalidasa's ancient verses in a play in Manipuri that uses a riot of colours and the tiny, precise movements of Manipuri dance to present a taut and structured extravagance.’
- ‘She also recounted to the students the interpretation aspect of the Manipuri dance form.’
- ‘Have you watched the young men perform the Manipuri dances with their drums?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.