One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A medium-sized long-tailed monkey native to the forests of West and central Africa.
- ‘However, it is so sad to know she will spend her life in captivity in the zoo, and especially sad since mangabeys are so rare in the wild.’
- ‘The highland mangabey is the first new species of monkey identified in 20 years and conservationists immediately said the find showed how important it was to preserve African forests.’
- ‘For the first time in 20 years, scientists have identified a new primate species in Africa - the highland mangabey.’
- ‘The white-collared mangabey forages in small groups that split off from the larger main group.’
- ‘The new primate, known as the highland mangabey, was identified by two independent research teams working in separate locations in southern Tanzania.’
- ‘The discarded remains included bones and skulls of mangabeys, large, predominantly ground-living monkeys.’
- ‘The White-crowned mangabey originates from the tropical rainforest areas of central and west Africa.’
- ‘White-naped mangabeys live in groups of 10-25 individuals, formed by several males and females.’
- ‘Another virus managed to get transferred from a species of monkey called the sooty mangabey, and this is known as HIV - 2.’
- ‘Highland mangabeys have mostly brown fur on their bodies and light-colored or white fur on their tails.’
- ‘The monkey is part of an ongoing study focused on the behavior and biology of male mangabeys in African forests.’
- ‘In addition, many collared mangabeys display by continuously lifting and lowering their conspicuous white eyelids.’
- ‘On the other hand, the Ndundulu Forest Reserve is in good condition, but there is concern that the population of the highland mangabey in this forest is very small and limited in distribution.’
- ‘Overhead, a passing troop of red-faced mangabeys hooted in derision before crashing off through the canopy, while a nine-inch millipede with a body like stainless steel crawled across my hand and into the leaf litter.’
- ‘The eagle subsequently died from her injuries, while the mangabey escaped and is thought to have survived.’
- ‘The golden bellied mangabeys are a very different species and genus from the black mangabeys.’
- ‘With the exception of a few animal dealers, most of the mangabeys came in from Africa and went to zoos.’
- ‘Are sooty mangabeys able to distinguish between vocalizations of familiar individuals and strangers?’
- ‘Using 80 target fig trees, the researchers recorded every time a group of mangabeys revisited a given tree to look for food and which trees they chose to ignore.’
- ‘The research teams, who learned of each other's work last October, named the creature the highland mangabey.’
Late 18th century: by erroneous association with Mangabey, a region of Madagascar.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.