One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Brave and resolute, especially in a difficult situation.‘a manful attempt to smile’
brave, courageous, bold, plucky, gallant, heroic, intrepid, fearless, valiant, valorous, dauntless, doughtyView synonyms
- ‘The industry has been making manful efforts to curtail production so that prices will not go through the floor every time that there is a pick-up in demand.’
- ‘There are a number of places where, naturally, I would not have worded that defense as Joe has, but on the whole I am grateful for his manful attempt to read what I said charitably.’
- ‘Frazer has done a manful job in that position but I know he is ready for a rest and his strength is in a defensive role.’
- ‘He himself seems to feel he has to make manful, self-deprecating jokes about having his election stolen.’
- ‘This second time, Selby made a manful attempt with both hands to make the catch.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.