Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large wild dog of South American grasslands, having a reddish coat with black hair across the shoulders and large erect ears.
- ‘The maned wolf of South America is a magnificent animal with a pointed muzzle and very large erect ears.’
- ‘Unlike most other wolves, maned wolves are omnivores.’
- ‘The Brazilian government has classified the maned wolf as an endangered species.’
- ‘Adaptable and resourceful, individual maned wolves range through enormous territories where they live off everything from rodents and birds to venomous snakes and berries.’
- ‘I have heard of them before, but to see a maned wolf in person is simply amazing.’
- ‘Adult maned wolves weigh 50-60 pounds and usually travel alone, staying in pairs only during breeding seasons.’
- ‘This extreme and varied habitat supports 3,500 plant species, 650 bird species, 260 types of fish, and more than 100 different mammals, including such endangered species as the jaguar, the maned wolf, and the giant otter.’
- ‘The long thin legs, which may serve to help the maned wolf to see above tall grass, grade from red to black at their lower portions.’
- ‘The maned wolf, a solitary denizen of South America's savannah grasslands, is the continent's largest wild canid, by far.’
- ‘What is worse, her hair resembles the russet hue of a maned wolf.’
- ‘Eighty percent of captive and wild maned wolves suffer from a genetic disease, and in addition they are susceptible to the common diseases of domestic dogs.’
- ‘Possibly extinct in Uruguay, the remaining maned wolves live in Bolivia and Brazil, with a handful in Argentina and Paraguay, and just a single pair in Peru.’
- ‘The fur of the maned wolf is worn in South America as a good luck charm.’
- ‘Certainly, paternal care is the general rule amongst canids so it might be expected in the maned wolf.’
- ‘True wolves are strict carnivores but the maned wolf is omnivorous.’
- ‘At present it is not known how many maned wolves remain in the wild.’
- ‘The long legs of the maned wolf allow it to see better in the tall grasses of the savannah.’
- ‘They considered deleterious human influence in the habitat of maned wolves to be more intense in the southeast than in the midwestern Brazilian states.’
- ‘The maned wolf is believed to have supernatural and medicinal powers.’
- ‘In Brazil's Pantanal, South America's largest wetlands, you'll stalk giant anteaters, armadillos, maned wolves, and jaguars.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.