Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A shaft or spindle in a lathe, to which work is fixed while being turned.
- ‘While the mandrel is rotating, a layer of shrink-wrap tape is applied to the outside of the composite material.’
- ‘Attach these mandrels to an electric motor to make a high quality, low cost work station for various sanding, polishing and buffing operations.’
- ‘The drill is switched on and the mandrel rotates.’
2A rod round which metal or other material is forged or shaped.
- ‘The core is then slipped onto a mandrel and wrapped with polyester mesh fabric and additional silicone.’
- ‘Broomfield offers expandable winding mandrels in both round and rectangular configurations that will collapse for easy coil removal.’
- ‘Long before we knew much about steel, iron bars were wrapped around a mandrel and forged together.’
- ‘The heat generated by the mandrel causes the two materials to briefly reach their melting temperature and combine.’
- ‘Larger rings can be fabricated by forging over a mandrel.’
- ‘The gooey tapes are plastered on the inside of molds or wrapped around shells called mandrels, and then baked.’
- ‘The body of the flute is made by winding carbon fibre around a metal mandrel, using a machine, and then impregnating it with epoxy resin.’
- ‘A flat strip of ‘soft’ iron is folded in half around a mandrel to create the socket.’
- ‘Finally finished, Alex let her voice trail off as she pried the ring off of the mandrel.’
- ‘The copper mandrel also helps control the welding heat by acting as a heat-sink.’
- ‘Engis also has a complete range of taper pins and mandrels for the wire drawing and tube industries.’
3British A miner's pick.
Early 16th century (in mandrel): of unknown origin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.