One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Hindu temple.
- ‘This building is both a Hindu mandir and a community centre.’
- ‘The location of the new church is unique, as it will become part of a complex of religious buildings having a mandir and a mosque built close to each other.’
- ‘We attend church, synagogue, mosque, mandir and gurudvara in record numbers.’
- ‘It is enough that millions of Hindus actually believe it had occupied the site of a mandir.’
- ‘One such temple is the richly-decorated mandir in Edinburgh, Chaguanas, with its many miniature sculptures decorating its walls and panels.’
- ‘My wife Sushila and I conduct a youth program for teenage Hindus at our local mandir in Berlin, New Jersey.’
- ‘The mandir itself is very different from what one expects it to be.’
- ‘She said Lakhan worked diligently at school and was an ardent member of the mandir and the youth group.’
- ‘Here, for example, is their map of mandirs across America.’
- ‘Then members of the mandirs or businesses sponsoring the floats personalized them with balloons and garlands.’
- ‘He stresses why mandirs are essential to humanity: ‘A mandir increases moral values.’’
- ‘The mandir in Kharkhara village is one such place.’
- ‘The mandir has a display of paintings depicting Adi Sankara's life.’
- ‘The government even relocated the Shiv mandir, he says.’
- ‘They will discuss girls, sports, studies, and, after 10 sit-ups near the mandir to dispel any fears of girliness, a bit of gossip.’
- ‘Ms. Mundhra is very attached to the students of the mandir.’
- ‘By putting Guru Granth Sahib in Hindu mandirs, simple Sikh villagers will begin to go to pay obeisance regularly.’
- ‘Devotees at mandirs make offerings to Shiva and chant ‘Om Nama Shivaaya’ throughout the night, in a process that helps to calm the mind and bring one closer to divinity.’
- ‘Rather, one approaches the mandir to catch a glimpse of, and to be seen by, God.’
- ‘The irate devotees claimed that the current executive had locked them out of the mandir and had changed the locks without consultation.’
From Hindi and Sanskrit mandira ‘dwelling place, temple’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.