One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a Gnostic sect of Iraq and SW Iran, who regard John the Baptist as the Messiah and stress salvation through knowledge of the divine origin of the soul.
- ‘Not surprisingly, a number of Mandaeans have fled to Australia, where they're not finding life a lot easier.’
- ‘It gives an account of the author's visit to the Mandaeans of Iran in April 1996.’
- ‘The Government has informed the tribunal that Mandaeans are discriminated against but not persecuted.’
- ‘This is the moment when the Mandaeans believe that the soul is separated from the body.’
- ‘There is even a group of Mandaeans: theirs is a tiny Gnostic sect.’
- ‘Note that the Mandeans were followers of the ‘mystery’ doctrines of the Babylonian goddess, Ishtar of Babylon.’
- ‘Most of the world's 20,000 or so Mandeans live in southern Iraq and southwestern Iran.’
- ‘In fact, Mandeans are neither Christian nor Muslim nor Jewish, but their faith bears some similarities to each.’
- ‘However, in recent years, many young educated Mandaeans have entered the priesthood.’
- ‘Mandeans follow purity laws similar to those in Judaism.’
2mass noun The language of the Mandaeans, a form of Aramaic.
Relating to the Mandaeans or their language.
- ‘Our correspondent Angus Crawford travelled with a Mandean doctor to find out what has happened to her people.’
- ‘Even in modern day Sydney, Aramaic dialects are used by the local Assyrian and Mandaean communities.’
- ‘Jews, Christians, even the Mandaean gnostic sect of the Sabeans, are all granted freedom to practice and to live in peace.’
- ‘At Yardenit in Israel, there is a major baptism site on the river which attracts Greek and Russian Orthodox Pilgrims and the Mandean people of the only surviving Gnostic religion.’
- ‘In present Mandean tradition, it must be performed by women after menstruation and after childbirth.’
Late 19th century: from Mandaean Aramaic mandaia ‘Gnostics, those who have knowledge’ (from manda ‘knowledge’) + -an.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.