Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sea cow of tropical Atlantic coasts and estuaries, with a rounded tail flipper.
- ‘Native animals range from the jaguar and howler monkey to the manatee, and there are more than 290 species of birds.’
- ‘Monkey River is 45 minutes to the south by boat, through mangrove estuaries that are home to manatees.’
- ‘Some manatees seek shelter here in the Suwannee River, which runs through northern Florida into the Gulf of Mexico.’
- ‘There are three species of manatees, including the West Indian manatee.’
- ‘In recent years, a manatee traveled to New York and another swam up the Mississippi River!’
- ‘The diet of the captive manatees used in this study consists principally of romaine lettuce.’
- ‘Tell the class that early explorers in Florida thought manatees were either mermaids or monsters.’
- ‘Like deer in the headlights of an oncoming car, manatees have poor avoidance strategies when in the path of danger.’
- ‘He actually adopted a tree in the tropical rainforest and a manatee down in Florida.’
- ‘Imagine what a giraffe, or an elephant, or a manatee looked like to the first Europeans to see them.’
- ‘The death toll was 325, with careless boaters killing 81 of those manatees.’
- ‘The largest population of manatees is found in Florida, where approximately 2,000 individuals now live.’
- ‘They provide food and shelter for thousands of species, including endangered manatees, dugongs and sea turtles.’
- ‘But the manatees swam along the shore and the people followed the manatees all of the way down here.’
- ‘He is hoping to test a prototype device with manatees in the natural environment under highly controlled research conditions.’
- ‘This year the two projects will focus on Florida manatees and wild lions in Kenya.’
- ‘Because manatees move freely along the coast, they are ideal indicators of environmental change.’
- ‘Such encounters are so common that researchers are often able to identify manatees from their scar patterns.’
- ‘The gestation period is one full year for manatees, and cows give birth only once every 3 to 5 years.’
- ‘While conducting night surveys for crocodiles, Klein sighted three manatees in Laguna Siksa.’
Mid 16th century: from Spanish manati, from Carib manáti.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.