Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small brightly coloured tropical American bird with a large head and small bill.
- ‘The most unusual plumage and wing modifications among the 40 or so species of manakins belong to the club-winged manakin, Bostwick told the group.’
- ‘Ironically, a road-paving team spotted the golden-crowned manakin in the heart of the rain forest of Brazil.’
- ‘Pairs of male lance-tailed manakins perform complex dances of ‘leapfrog’ stunts and flight displays to woo interested females.’
- ‘Watch for manakins, trogons, hawks, and other forest species.’
- ‘Levey found that smaller seed size resulted in an increase in number of fruits that could be eaten by manakins, which mainly swallow fruit whole.’
- ‘The manakins vibrate their wings at more than 100 cycles per second, twice the speed of hummingbirds.’
- ‘Adult male manakins are more sedentary than females and young males and may not disperse seeds as widely as females and young males.’
- ‘An interesting analogy may occur in some manakins in which males are smaller than females.’
- ‘Each time the manakin produced a loud, clear tone that sounded as if it came from a violin.’
- ‘Thus, both manakins and plants profit from the interaction.’
- ‘Instead of fighting over females, pairs of male lance-tailed manakins team up to court prospective mates.’
- ‘The film captures monkeys in the Nariva wetlands, golden tree frogs housed in bromeliad plants and blue-backed manakins in Tobago.’
- ‘Restricted foraging time due to inclement weather and the resultant decrease in food intake is believed to influence hypothermia in manakins and may induce torpor in hummingbirds.’
- ‘Male golden-collared manakins clear leaf litter from the ground to form courts, which they then use as arenas for intense courtship displays.’
- ‘Also, many manakins have delayed plumage maturation.’
- ‘Like many other manakins, adult males develop a brilliant and conspicuous plumage, establish an arena, and display to females.’
- ‘Males of over half of the species of manakins produce startling sounds with their wings during courtship displays.’
- ‘Other species, such as thrushes and manakins, usually regurgitate the largest seeds they ingest.’
- ‘But rather than hovering for a drink, manakins generate finger-snap clicks to entice females.’
- ‘The noise-making skill of manakins first came to the attention of naturalists in the 1800's.’
Early 17th century: variant of manikin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.