One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The right or condition of self-government.‘they should be able to manage their affairs autonomously, reinstating mana motuhake’
- ‘Under mana motuhake, the iwi plans to take partial control of health, education and social services for its people over the next 40 years.’
- ‘The ultimate outcome for his wider cause of mana motuhake is due to be signed by the governing board early next year.’
- ‘He reckons he has bought the recipe for mana motuhake and it is wrapped up in the Deed of Settlement he will sign with the Crown today.’
- ‘For us, mana motuhake represents the pure oxygen of freedom.’
- ‘The Maori term for such objectives, mana motuhake, is virtually untranslatable.’
- ‘The motto of the group is mana motuhake.’
- ‘In five years it will negotiate to have Mana Motuhake, or self rule, which means more control over education, health and housing services.’
- ‘Their relationship allows them to assert their mana motuhake.’
- ‘The settlement also paves the way for mana motuhake or self-government for Tuhoe.’
- ‘There can be no justice for anyone on stolen land without achieving mana motuhake.’
Early 20th century: Maori mana ‘power, authority’ + Maori motuhake ‘independence’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.