One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Polynesian, Melanesian, and Maori belief) an impersonal supernatural power which can be transmitted or inherited.
prestige, kudos, cachet, standing, stature, prestigiousness, reputation, repute, name, good name, regard, fame, note, renown, honour, esteem, estimation, image, account, rank, character, celebrity, importance, prominence, consequence, class, distinction, laurels, influence, weight, authority, supremacy, eminence, superiorityView synonyms
- ‘First he'd have to be able to tap into his mana, though, and she knew he couldn't do that.’
- ‘Hair is thought to contain mana or power and so the cutting of hair is also a risky business.’
- ‘It seems there's not an acre of land that doesn't have a story and a hefty dose of mana, or spiritual power.’
- ‘Shouldn't he be conjuring up mana to help with the disaster relief effort?’
- ‘If you can deprive your opponent of mana, you have an excellent chance of winning.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.