Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1In a direct and frank way between two men.‘he was able to talk man to man with the delegates’
frankly, openly, honestly, directly, candidly, plainly, forthrightly, without beating about the bushwoman to womanView synonyms
- ‘I realize you are my employer, but I'd like to speak with you man to man for a moment, if I may.’
- ‘Dad did occasionally try to talk to me in a man-to-man, father-to-son kind of way.’
- ‘I'm very much looking forward to seeing him and sitting down and talking to him man to man.’
- ‘I decided it was time for a man-to-man talk with the guy.’
2Denoting a defensive tactic in soccer or other sport in which each player is responsible for marking one opponent.‘the best man-to-man marker in the game’
- ‘One of the biggest keys to a good man to man defensive scheme is what is called player recognition.’
- ‘The game petered out into its traditional pattern of man-to-man marking.’
- ‘I am sure that if you see TV and watch other matches you will see a lot of goals scored from set-pieces, corners and free-kicks against teams who mark man to man.’
- ‘Concentrate on dribbling, passing, shooting and playing man to man defense.’
- ‘Our man to man marking has improved and the defence is compact.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.