One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1In a direct and frank way between two men.‘he was able to talk man to man with the delegates’
frankly, openly, honestly, directly, candidly, plainly, forthrightly, without beating about the bushView synonyms
- ‘I decided it was time for a man-to-man talk with the guy.’
- ‘I realize you are my employer, but I'd like to speak with you man to man for a moment, if I may.’
- ‘Dad did occasionally try to talk to me in a man-to-man, father-to-son kind of way.’
- ‘I'm very much looking forward to seeing him and sitting down and talking to him man to man.’
2Denoting a defensive tactic in soccer or other sport in which each player is responsible for marking one opponent.‘the best man-to-man marker in the game’
- ‘One of the biggest keys to a good man to man defensive scheme is what is called player recognition.’
- ‘Concentrate on dribbling, passing, shooting and playing man to man defense.’
- ‘The game petered out into its traditional pattern of man-to-man marking.’
- ‘Our man to man marking has improved and the defence is compact.’
- ‘I am sure that if you see TV and watch other matches you will see a lot of goals scored from set-pieces, corners and free-kicks against teams who mark man to man.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.