One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
From childhood.‘I've been with this company man and boy’
- ‘Their managerial history is built on a solid stretch by Syd King, who was in charge of the club for 30 years man and boy.’
- ‘I am a smoker, and have been for the past 36 years, man and boy, and have never really made any serious attempt to quit in all that time.’
- ‘But for John Wilberforce Preston, who has fished the rivers and ponds of Craven man and boy for some 50 years, all is not well in the Aire Valley.’
- ‘I have worked here man and boy… Not many people can say that these days but perky head porter Mike Fawcett can and does with pride.’
- ‘I have lived here for more than 70 years - man and boy - and I won't be pushed out.’
- ‘Rex has been a North End supporter man and boy, and to take the stick of rock analogy, if you chopped him in half he would say ‘Disappointed’ all the way through.’
- ‘A Labour Party member, man and boy, I am horrified to see so many of my colleagues vote with ignorance and arrogance in equal measure.’
- ‘Cecil has been working it, seven days a week, for more than 60 years as a hands-on farmer, man and boy.’
- ‘I have supported that club man and boy for 38 years.’
- ‘He had been a merchant seaman man and boy, covering some fifty years and he was so accustomed to shouting just to be heard that he couldn't stop doing it now that he'd retired.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.