One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Capitalism, he wrote in Past and Present, bore ‘the Gospel of Mammonism,’ in which money, through its ‘miraculous facilities,’ held its devotees ‘spell-bound in a horrid enchantment.’’
- ‘This means combating Commercialism and Mammonism which has not yet become an important agenda.’
- ‘As a consequence of all these forces, the values of Mammonism have begun to prevail inside the family's ‘haven’ as well as out.’
- ‘I suppose my question is how much of his Mammonism is environmental and how much is hard wired into his personality.’
- ‘He also seems to have confirmed his existing prejudices against Utilitarians, Parliamentarians, a ‘do-nothing Aristocracy’, and the pervasive spirit of ‘Mammonism’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.