One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large, agile, highly venomous African snake.
Genus Dendroaspis, family Elapidae: three species. See also black mamba
- ‘The mambas are relatives of the cobras and belong to the venomous group of snakes known as Elapids.’
- ‘I did once meet a green mamba in the open, and it was the snake that slid for cover!’
- ‘For many Africans, the ‘coffin-headed’ black mamba is synonymous with death.’
- ‘They also endured first-hand experiences with green mamba snakes, grunting warthogs, maniacal, laughing hyenas, and black centipedes which would fall dramatically into the bath after sneaking up the overflow pipe.’
- ‘There were other snakes in his collection; mambas, vipers, adders, boomslangs, vine snakes, sand snakes, pythons and other cobra species.’
- ‘My daughter, Julie, was almost killed by a green mamba several years ago in Africa.’
- ‘Most recently a mamba bit me right here.’
- ‘Nine puff adders, seven Usambra mountain vipers and a green mamba were included.’
- ‘For these reasons, the black mamba is widely considered the world's deadliest snake.’
- ‘Black mambas do not interact beyond mating and males do not contribute effort to raising offspring.’
- ‘Vipers, cobras, mambas, coral snakes and kraits and a few other snakes have evolved venom as a way of capturing prey.’
- ‘A large and deadly mamba snake has been discovered in Sissoko's room and his brother, who has been driving us, has killed it and cut off its head.’
- ‘Like all reptiles, the black mamba is cold blooded, and relies on external heat to maintain its body temperature.’
- ‘The black mamba, the largest of the species, is uniformly olive to black.’
- ‘Young mambas are eaten by mongooses, and even adult mambas are eaten by the secretary bird and larger species of eagle.’
- ‘At the time we were working on a project about snake bites, and we had mambas and cobras available.’
- ‘The bite and venom of a green mamba can kill in less than 30 minutes.’
Mid 19th century: from Zulu imamba.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.