One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting plants of the mallow family (Malvaceae ).
- ‘I cannot be confident that several of the plants described here are indeed malvaceous.’
- ‘The large malvaceous genus Abutilon is in need of critical revisionary study.’
- ‘It has produced high-quality DNA from various malvaceous species, and from old cotton fibers.’
- ‘The malvaceous hosts were incubated at 30°C and symptoms were recorded after a two week period.’
- ‘It is also found in natural infections of several leguminous and malvaceous species.’
Late 17th century: from modern Latin Malvaceae (plural), based on Latin malva ‘mallow’, + -ous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.