Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Cruel or violent treatment of a person or animal; mistreatment.‘16 per cent of children experience serious maltreatment at the hands of their parents’
ill treatment, mistreatment, abuse, ill use, ill usage, misuse, bad treatmentrough handling, beating, mishandling, manhandling, maulingbullying, torture, injury, harm, persecution, molestationView synonyms
- ‘Specific chapters examine the effect of maltreatment on cognitive, linguistic, social, and emotional development in children.’
- ‘It includes domestic violence, child physical abuse, child sexual abuse and maltreatment of elders.’
- ‘We don't like thinking about child abuse and maltreatment.’
- ‘Child maltreatment, abuse and victimization refer to the intentional assault of a child by a caretaker.’
- ‘According to national newspapers he has claimed abuse and maltreatment by his captors and dismissed their claims as a fabrication.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.