Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Alcoholic drink made from malt by fermentation rather than distillation, for example beer.
- ‘The beach was fairly empty; there were a few couples strolling hand-in-hand, some teenagers sipping from bottles of malt liquor, throwing rocks, talking loudly.’
- ‘We actually cheered when malt liquor was made available at the local stores.’
- ‘A clerk comes up to me, as I'm picking between fairly expensive vodkas, and asks me if I'd like to know where the malt liquor is.’
- ‘The boys on the corner with their bottles of malt liquor laughed at me, but I knew I had found gold.’
- ‘If you plan to win this, you'll need a stress ball and some malt liquor, because it won't come easy.’
- ‘Propagandistic messages can be used to accomplish positive social ends, as in campaigns to reduce drunk driving, but they are also used to win elections and to sell malt liquor.’
- ‘If I were drinking malt liquor, I'd probably have a pretty good base coat laid down.’
- ‘I pulled off the road and carried the malt liquor and my fishing tackle out into the wetlands.’
- ‘‘Rap artists have been popular images in malt liquor advertising and ‘gangsta’ rap performers portray malt liquor as a sign of masculinity,’ she said.’
- ‘If I remember correctly, it was the first time Kofi ever tried malt liquor.’
- ‘One of them who oppose taxes on cigarettes and malt liquor did so because ‘it will weigh most heavily on the poor’.’
- ‘The Hornell Brewing Company, manufacturer of Crazy Horse malt liquor, is also being called to task.’
- ‘The true grandaddy of malt liquors, Country Club was the first successful malt liquor in America.’
- ‘Dwight and his room-mates spend their nights downing malt liquor in homage to the inner-city youth they never had.’
- ‘To drink, there's fresh papaya juice, lemonade and Malta Corona, not malt liquor but a fizzy, slightly sweet beverage that tastes like Ovaltine soda.’
- ‘That's why they drive inconspicuous foreign sports cars at high speeds while drunk on malt liquor, taking down telephone poles and innocent children by accident.’
- ‘Leaning against one of the cars are three young men with baseball caps, drinking big 40-ounce bottles of Cobra malt liquor at 9.30 in the morning.’
- ‘They saw that I wasn't afraid to drink a 40-ounce bottle of malt liquor.’
- ‘Breedlove still has the bike and the blue hair, along with a few tattoos, but she no longer snacks on malt liquor.’
- ‘The sea scallops look good until I'm told they're served in a broth of malt liquor and mummified litchi nuts.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.