Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tubular excretory organ, numbers of which open into the gut in insects and some other arthropods.
- ‘Excretion of nitrogenous waste takes place through Malpighian tubules.’
- ‘In contrast, the gut, the Malpighian tubules, and the fat bodies (not shown) were nearly normal in size and shape.’
- ‘The excretory system is composed of a dorsal excretory gland and a pair of Malpighian tubules.’
- ‘This process has now been implicated in the function of Malpighian tubules, rectum and midgut of a variety of insects.’
- ‘Expression has also been monitored in peripheral tissues such as the Malpighian tubules.’
- ‘The drawing shows a typical alimentary canal and the Malpighian tubules of a leafhopper.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.