One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A crystalline acid obtained by the oxidation of malic acid.
Chemical formula: HOOCCH₂COOH
- ‘Unusually high levels of malonic acid in the urine is often an indication of a genetic disorder known as malonic aciduria.’
- ‘A particle size of the dispersed malonic acid of about 25 to about 1000 microns is suitable.’
- ‘The occurrence of malonic acid has been reported in the leaves of lucerne and in green wheat plants.’
- ‘As the oxalate is desorbing slowly from the surface its concentration in the liquid phase is small, despite the fact that it is a major intermediate in the mineralization of malonic acid.’
- ‘It unfolds as a complex interplay among bromate ions, malonic acid, and a catalyst.’
Mid 19th century: malonic from French malonique, alteration of malique ‘malic’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.