Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Suffering from malnutrition.
ravenous, empty, hollow, faint from hungerView synonyms
- ‘But by now all three were malnourished and suffering from amoebic dysentery.’
- ‘There are no doctors on duty overnight, and by morning this malnourished child is not moving.’
- ‘Barclay was severely malnourished when discovered amid the squalor’
- ‘It is also supplying vaccines, medicines and high protein biscuits and therapeutic milk for malnourished children.’
- ‘Like almost all children in the camp, Teresa is obviously malnourished.’
- ‘Hospitals have no water or power, doctors are giving themselves intravenous drips because they are so malnourished.’
- ‘None of Manne's authors have unearthed an observation of Aborigines starving or even malnourished.’
- ‘Without a male provider they may be malnourished during pregnancy and so jeopardise the health of their unborn.’
- ‘There is clearly a problem in the community, but there is no evidence that patients are becoming malnourished in York Hospital.’
- ‘It's important to serve as much protein as possible to these malnourished people.’
- ‘Just £57 will save the life of a severely malnourished child in an intensive therapeutic feeding centre.’
- ‘What if a quarter of Israelis were reduced to dire poverty and its children were malnourished?’
- ‘Those choices include the target feeding of malnourished children under five, and pregnant or lactating women.’
- ‘Yet 27 per cent of children under the age of three are malnourished in Kerala.’
- ‘The afflicted can be neglected and malnourished, and depression often sets in.’
- ‘At the very least, it is a considerably malnourished imagining of how, why and for whom intellectuals write.’
- ‘A malnourished body requires a complete balanced food packet that builds up its ability to absorb nutrients.’
- ‘Her two children, little malnourished boys, clutched her skirt and wouldn't or couldn't smile.’
- ‘A recent malnutrition survey of South Kivu found more malnourished adults than children.’
- ‘Children living in hostels have lost weight and expectant mothers are malnourished, the report also found.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.