Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An order of insects that comprises the biting lice.See also Phthiraptera
- ‘We found feather mites and feather lice (Mallophaga) on all species of birds and at every site.’
- ‘However, none of the birds in our sample suffered from feather breakage when filmed, and effects of Mallophaga on flight behavior through breakage can therefore be excluded as an explanation for our results.’
- ‘Others, traditionally grouped in the Mallophaga, are referred to as chewing lice, because their mouthparts are modified for chewing.’
- ‘If that were also the case in Barn Swallows, individuals with a high parasite load would have to increase their foraging efficiency through an increase in flapping flight to balance the extra metabolic cost due to Mallophaga.’
- ‘Label data for all slide-mounted Mallophaga and Anoplura is available in a computer database.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek mallos lock of wool + -phagos eating.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.