Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A hammer with a large, usually wooden head.
mallet, beetle, gavelView synonyms
- ‘For the finest of detail, he applies the trusty mallet and chisel.’
- ‘The axe can then be hammered in further with a wooden mallet.’
- ‘Use a mallet or hammer to tap knife gently through flesh.’
- ‘A wooden mallet was used to drive in the scallops without damaging the points.’
- ‘Cut off the wings, breast and legs and break up the carcass with a meat mallet.’
- ‘At the end of the ride, you will be hit on the head with a giant mallet.’
- ‘Carpenters had mallets, hammers, drills, chisels, scrapers, planes, and copper saws at their disposal.’
- ‘Start your screw hole with an awl by tapping gently with a hammer or a soft-face mallet.’
- ‘The sentries banged the door five times with a giant mallet.’
- ‘On small farms this was done with a flail or wooden mallet and block.’
- ‘A smooth hide or even hard rubber/plastic mallet will mar it the least.’
- ‘The judge beat his wooden mallet on the podium, demanding order.’
- ‘This handy wooden mallet was made from some left-over scraps of oak that I had salvaged from a pallet.’
- ‘Most of the temporary equipment fits together easily with just a rubber mallet, screwdriver, pocketknife and a pair of pliers.’
- ‘It finally gave up it's resistance with the help of a few smacks with a mallet and chisel…’
- ‘Into this hole, tap in the spile with a wooden mallet.’
- ‘Flatten a chicken breast to 1/4-inch thickness with a meat mallet.’
- ‘Children were invited to have a go at making shapes using the tools of the wood carving trade - a mallet and chisel.’
- ‘A rubber mallet is used to drive the blade halves into the green.’
- ‘If bricks run slightly ahead of the pattern, use a rubber mallet to nudge them into place.’
- 1.1A long-handled wooden stick with a head like a hammer, used for hitting a croquet or polo ball.
- ‘Some spectators wear Harris tweed and others carry polo mallets as accessories.’
- ‘But one day we had to go up to the attic for something and we found these hoops, mallets, timber balls and a peg.’
- ‘I date men who knock me off my bike in bike polo by throwing a mallet at my spokes and watching me fall just like the boys.’
- ‘The back of the bat should never be touched with the mallet.’
- ‘My brother and I took a radio out onto the lawn and there smashed it into a thousand pieces with croquet mallets.’
- ‘If you can pedal and swing a mallet, you can play bike polo.’
- ‘All mallets shown below have similar options for the head styles, the differences are in the shaft types.’
- ‘Players wear jerseys - actually, colored T-shirts - and use mallets to knock a ball into a goal.’
- ‘We have lengths from 31-36 ’, and can order longer or shorter mallets as needed.’
- ‘One of the first lessons anyone gets is how to take hold of and swing a mallet.’
- ‘Alfred picks up the discarded croquet mallets and follows them.’
- ‘He does like a polo mallet, he hits it and it goes flying over the table, and I'm saying, ‘Good shot.’’
- ‘For the piece titled Passageways, Toivanen set a croquet ball and mallet against the gallery wall, ready for play.’
- ‘Lightweight recreational mallets are not up to the task of this gruelling version of the game.’
- ‘The twelve-year-old called after them, as Craig waved at them with the croquet mallet.’
- ‘He's one of the greatest sportsmen that ever picked up a mallet or a cricket bat.’
- ‘There is no evidence of this being true at all - the only things that the games have in common are mallets and balls.’
- ‘Sorry to disappoint you, but I never got to see Fergie's polo mallets.’
- ‘A polo mallet that is too heavy can eventually lead to muscle fatigue, wrist strain or even an injury.’
- ‘Do they beat it with a large polo mallet?’
- 1.2A wooden stick with a padded head, used for hitting percussion instruments.
- ‘The metal bars on the xylophones are red, yellow, green and blue, and the mallets are red.’
- ‘My kids pounded these mallets to bits in about six months.’
- ‘Yamaha's high quality keyboard mallets offer a range of features for students and professionals.’
- ‘A wide variety of drumsticks, including hard sticks, soft mallets, and brushes, is used.’
- ‘Includes definition, construction, mallets, cost, and links to other percussion resources.’
- ‘The current line of mallets is wound using either wool-based and nylon based yarns or two types of wool yarn.’
Late Middle English: from Old French maillet, from mail hammer, from Latin malleus.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.