One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large heavy roller used for crushing bushes and small trees prior to clearing; a scrub roller.‘the laborious task was made easier by the invention of the mallee roller’
- ‘Land clearance costs were significantly reduced by the development of mallee rollers.’
- ‘The clearing of mallee scrub was further cheapened by the South Australian invention of the mallee roller and the scrub log.’
- ‘The conversion to farming could be easily accomplished by the new implements such as the 'Mallee roller'.’
- ‘Dust and smoke soon hung over the developing irrigation area as the mallee rollers did their work.’
- ‘The mallee-roller and stump-jump plough enabled farmers to work the rough ground in the Mallee.’
- ‘The mallee roller was invented by the grandfathers of almost all the Birchip farmers I knew, including our own.’
- ‘"Mallee rollers" knocked down the scrub faster and cheaper than a team of axemen.’
- ‘Unusual facets of climate, vegetation, and labour led to clever mechanical inventions, including the stripper, stump-jump plough, and mallee roller.’
- ‘The land was mostly cleared by mallee rollers pulled by horses.’
- ‘The 'Mallee roller', the stump-jump plough, and McKay's stripper-harvester helped some of the settlers to succeed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.