Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A weaver bird of west and central Africa, having black plumage with red on the head or throat.
- ‘There are lots of malimbes there of several species, but unfortunately the endemic Ibadan Malimbe has only rarely been recorded.’
- ‘The Gola malimbe was not found in the 1989 survey although it has been recorded in the Gola forests before.’
- ‘A three-year research project aims to identify factors determining the occurrence of malimbes in forest patches within the range of the Ibadan malimbe.’
- ‘Black-bellied Seedcracker inhabits the forest edge, while the canopy holds vermillion and black malimbes.’
- ‘Other highlights in the Korup park are Forbe's Plover, Black Dwarf, White-crested hornbills, and Rachel's malimbes.’
1940s: named after the town of Malimbe in Angola.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.