Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The situation whereby individuals of a normally hermaphrodite species produce only female gametes.
- ‘Null 2 mutations result in defects in gametogenesis that cause incompletely penetrant male sterility and complete female sterility.’
- ‘We found that 10 out of 11 species crosses involving hybrid male sterility show Y chromosome effects in at least one direction of the cross.’
- ‘Direct evidence of the interaction between nuclear and mitochondrial genes comes from the study of cytoplasmic male sterility.’
- ‘Restoration of cytoplasmic male sterility in most species, including studies in S. vulgaris, seems to involve a mixture of mostly dominant and some recessive alleles.’
- ‘A strong reduction of cytoplasmic neutral genetic diversity is therefore expected in species experiencing cryptic dominant male sterility.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.