One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for Malay
- ‘The different races in Malaya think of themselves primarily as Malays, Chinese or Indians and only secondarily, if at all, as Malayans.’
- ‘The Malayans refused to buy the Communist call for turning red.’
- ‘For the ordinary Malayans on Aug 31, it was a holiday.’
- ‘Kadars, the Muduvans and the Malayans belong to the early Dravidian race.’
- ‘The secret lies in the pure harmony among Malayans, despite the various ethnic groups, cultures and religions.’
Relating to Malays, the Malay language, or Malaya (now part of Malaysia).
- ‘It had been thought that the Malayan tapir is usually solitary, except for a female with young.’
- ‘The most successful example of the ‘oil-spot’ strategy, in his view, was the British campaign against Malayan insurgents in the 1950s.’
- ‘This led to the Malayan Emergency, a protracted war against communist guerrillas lasting until the 1950s.’
- ‘The army mainly consisted of Chinese regiments, but there was one Malayan regiment as well.’
- ‘Yamashita's Malayan campaign, culminating in the fall of Singapore in February 1942, made him a national hero.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.