One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Dravidian language spoken mainly in the southern Indian state of Kerala, closely related to Tamil.
- ‘A few others immediately countered this and demanded that she should speak in Malayalam instead.’
- ‘Indeed they continue to speak chaste Malayalam despite their long stay in Israel.’
- ‘Despite being a Telugu, she says her most satisfying numbers came in other languages like Tamil and Malayalam.’
- ‘She will render a selection of her hits in Malayalam, Tamil and Hindi.’
- ‘Rao can speak Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Hindi with relative ease.’
Relating to Malayalam.
Early 19th century: from Malayalam, from mala (Tamil malai) ‘mountain’ + āḷ ‘man’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.