One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for tannia
- ‘Take it off the stove and add the ham bouillon, beef bouillon, tomato purée, potatoes, yams, malangas, and plantains.’
- ‘In the US they call them dasheen, taro, cocoyams and also malanga.’
- ‘Using a grater, grate the malangas through the medium holes.’
- ‘There are two annual harvests of nourishing tubers, one for yams and one for malangas.’
- ‘Although similar, malanga grows best in dry places, while taro flourishes in wet ones.’
Early 20th century: from American Spanish, probably from Kikongo, plural of elanga ‘water lily’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.