Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A crustacean of the large class Malacostraca, such as a crab, shrimp, or lobster.
- ‘The mouth of malacostracans leads to a two-chambered stomach, which possesses a grinding structure called the gastric mill.’
- ‘Malacostracans play such an important role in aquatic ecosystems that their conservation is an important issue.’
- ‘Shifts between aquatic and terrestrial habitats were likely promoted by the availability of malacostracans in both terrestrial and aquatic habitats.’
- ‘Malacostracans exhibit the hard, calcified exoskeleton typical of crustaceans.’
- ‘Both the fishing and farming of malacostracans can be environmentally damaging.’
Relating to or denoting malacostracans.
- ‘Therefore, the homology of entomostracan and malacostracan neuronal stem cells remains uncertain.’
- ‘Neuroblasts in many malacostracan crustaceans arise and behave differently from their counterparts in Drosophila.’
- ‘Classical eyestalk ablation experiments have demonstrated that malacostracan reproduction is under sinus gland control.’
- ‘Several malacostracan species are important in aquaculture and food industries.’
- ‘In a study of 47 species of malacostracan arthropods, Becker found that most of the taxa were not heavily fouled.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.