[mass noun] Imperfect absorption of food material by the small intestine.
- ‘The classic disorder of malabsorption is pernicious anemia, an autoimmune disease that affects the gastric parietal cells.’
- ‘Cystic fibrosis also causes malabsorption, although fat absorption is the hallmark of this condition.’
- ‘Other post-op complications include portal hypertension, malabsorption and rickets.’
- ‘Weight loss is accomplished both by restriction of food quantity and malabsorption of nutrients.’
- ‘This may cause diarrhoea on account of the possible bile acid malabsorption.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.