One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘But even modern Maoris don't like to meddle with makutu.’
- ‘Makutu was resorted to often for the purpose of avenging some insult, or to punish a thief or other evildoer.’
- ‘If a woman is sitting in the front, her fertility would be affected by makutu, says Walker.’
- ‘The Urewera, famed all over New Zealand for their skill in makutu practices, often used spittle as a bait.’
- 1.1count noun A magic spell.
spell, incantation, conjuration, rune, magic formula, magic word, abracadabra, jinxView synonyms
- ‘This is necessary, that the makutu may take effect, and the person who stole the flax be discovered.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.