One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
postpositive Denoting an Indian dish cooked in a rich sauce made with butter or ghee, onions, tomatoes, and cream.‘chicken makhani’
- ‘He had served dal makhani, with rajma in it instead of sambar.’
- ‘Dal makhani is one dish that I have never prepared at home.’
- ‘A quick check of my fridge and spice drawer later, I had enough stuff to make murgh makhani (Indian butter chicken).’
- ‘This is what is known as chicken makhani.’
- ‘Add garam masala powder to the dal makhani and simmer for 15 minutes.’
Hindi makkhani, from makkhan ‘butter’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.