One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
postpositive Denoting an Indian dish cooked in a rich sauce made with butter or ghee, onions, tomatoes, and cream.‘chicken makhani’
- ‘Add garam masala powder to the dal makhani and simmer for 15 minutes.’
- ‘A quick check of my fridge and spice drawer later, I had enough stuff to make murgh makhani (Indian butter chicken).’
- ‘He had served dal makhani, with rajma in it instead of sambar.’
- ‘This is what is known as chicken makhani.’
- ‘Dal makhani is one dish that I have never prepared at home.’
Hindi makkhani, from makkhan ‘butter’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.