One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make fun of.‘the owls made sport of us—they called from all directions’
make fun of, poke fun at, chaff, make jokes about, rag, mock, laugh at, guy, satirize, be sarcastic aboutView synonyms
- ‘He knows how to humiliate people, find their weaknesses and make sport of them.’
- ‘And I realize that I have been made sport of by an awful lot of folks, particularly the late-night comedians.’
- ‘She averted her eyes, thinking she was being made sport of.’
- ‘You're, you know, you're taking the national sport and making sport of it.’
- ‘Of course, they were wonderful objects to make sport of and play with.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.