One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make someone angry or indignant.
annoy, irritate, exasperate, anger, irk, vex, put out, nettle, provoke, incense, gall, rile, infuriate, antagonize, get on someone's nerves, rub up the wrong way, make someone's blood boil, ruffle someone's feathers, ruffle, try someone's patienceView synonyms
- ‘Why, it makes my hackles rise in self-righteous horror!’
- ‘I knew it was a grin, but the bared teeth still made my hackles rise.’
- ‘The sudden picture of Bruce sitting so close to her, hands clasped, made his hackles rise.’
- ‘As nondescript and unassuming as he seemed, his mere presence made my hackles rise.’
- ‘The sound of footsteps behind him made his hackles rise.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.