One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make one's first formal appearance in a particular role.‘the midfielder only made his England bow nine months ago’
- ‘The 32-year-old, who was released by Boro at the end of last season, will join his new team-mates at training today before making his bow between the sticks in tonight's friendly against Gainsborough Trinity.’
- ‘And he has asked the fans to continue pulling in the same direction as the mystery consortium which is looking to back the club, and carry on the fight in any way they can in readiness for the club to make their bow next season.’
- ‘But Harry will not be getting any butterflies before he makes his bow after 15 years experience in the butchers trade.’
- ‘This is the first time they have progressed beyond the first round since making their bow in the competition in 1995.’
- ‘The centre forward or centre half signed from Guiseley a few weeks ago but has only been available once so far, making tomorrow's game an ideal opportunity to make his bow at Station View.’
- ‘She makes her bow in a Grand Slam outside of Britain, losing in the first round of the 2003 Australian Open’
- ‘Snooker's glamour boy makes his bow in this year's UK Championship in York at 10 am on Wednesday morning.’
- ‘Six years ago, he made his full international debut for England to join an elite list of national greats to make their bow around their 21st birthday.’
- ‘A group of young Burnley fans had a day to remember when Wimbledon made their bow at the National Hockey Stadium in Milton Keynes last weekend.’
- ‘Another Collyhurst lad makes his bow in the pro ranks on home turf.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.