One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Accomplish (a task) quickly and easily.‘make light work of cooking with the help of this electronic food processor’
- ‘High praise is due to our server, who made light work of snaking his way through the thickets of humanity.’
- ‘At the end of the day-long meeting, he made light work of summing up the main points.’
- ‘I watched in amazement as it made light work of blending a whole assortment of foods, which, from experience, I knew my cheap high street blender would never have handled.’
- ‘This photo shows Sam and his mighty chainsaw making light work of one of the many trees that were downed during a recent storm.’
- ‘Having bowled out their opponents for 170, the home side made light work of knocking off the required runs with more than 18 overs to spare.’
- ‘It was their powerful four-wheel drive car that made light work of the muddy roads that connected the villages.’
- ‘The home side made light work of a depleted Alstonville line-up with a 3-nil win.’
- ‘Second seed Power made light work of his opening encounter in the Hungarian Open Squash Championship.’
- ‘The world's best male and female sprint hurdlers also made light work of the conditions to beat high quality fields.’
- ‘Sea Scout crews made light work of the locks, for some of the crews this was their first canal boating experience.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.