One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Become very successful or famous.
- ‘I spent a few years playing in a garage band and the biggest failure there was we never really tried to make it big.’
- ‘A year earlier he had taken the Premiership by storm - scoring eight goals in 34 starts - a talented teenager making it big in a man's world.’
- ‘Most people think of success as making it big in power and money.’
- ‘‘Many successful entrepreneurs suffered failures before they made it big,’ he notes.’
- ‘They have no dream of making it big in racing - they just want to get behind the wheel.’
- ‘Since he was a child Matthew dreamed of making it big, of being a player in a country where more than half of the national wealth is controlled by a handful of families.’
- ‘For every successful cartoonist who makes it big, there are thousands of other equally talented artists that go completely unrecognized.’
- ‘After a series of setbacks during the past 12 months, the industry now feels rejuvenated with family themes making it big at the box-office.’
- ‘You want to talk about someone who's making it big?’
- ‘Every band dreams of making it big but we were just happy having fun really.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.