One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually with negative Understand at all.‘we couldn't make head nor tail of the answer’
understand, comprehend, work out, fathom out, make sense of, grasp, catch, follow, perceive, make out, penetrate, divine, search out, ferret out, puzzle out, take in, assimilate, absorb, get to the bottom ofView synonyms
- ‘I'm not surprised - pension statements are remarkably difficult to make head or tail of.’
- ‘We still cannot make head or tail of what happened.’
- ‘I've never been able to make head or tail of it and it has always seemed to me that as soon as Catholics leave the debating zone, Protestants go back to living and acting exactly like Catholics.’
- ‘I would gladly pay to have someone summarize the plot of this alleged supernatural thriller for me, because, owing to whatever heretofore unrecognized deficiency on my part, I couldn't really make head or tail of it.’
- ‘Anyway, I couldn't make head or tail of what he was saying.’
- ‘Now it is difficult to make head or tail of what he is at.’
- ‘Last week one of his followers tried to make head or tail of it all.’
- ‘For they are creators of truths so unprecedented, purveyors of proposals so revolutionary, that not a soul is capable of making head or tail of them.’
- ‘These women are so obsessed with the idea that they are the ones wanting commitment while men don't that they can't make head or tail of this new version of themselves.’
- ‘She couldn't make head or tail of what she was being told and thought it a nightmare.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.