One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Exert more time or energy on (a task) than is necessary.‘the team made hard work of beating the Giants’
- ‘They made hard work of reaching this stage of the competition.’
- ‘His side made hard work of grinding down their industrious opponents.’
- ‘The Frenchman made hard work of it until the third set.’
- ‘He admitted afterwards that he made hard work of his victory.’
- ‘She is making hard work of it in her government.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.