One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Try everything possible to achieve something.‘the doctor spared no effort in helping my father’
try hard, strive, aim, aspire, venture, undertake, seek, make an effort, spare no effort, exert oneself, do one's best, do all one can, do one's utmost, attempt, give one's all, labour, work, toil, strain, struggle, apply oneselftry hard, strive, aim, aspire, venture, undertake, seek, make an effort, make every effort, exert oneself, do one's best, do all one can, do one's utmost, attempt, give one's all, labour, work, toil, strain, struggle, apply oneselfView synonyms
- ‘In such cases, we have made every effort to advise the reader of possible risks or hazards.’
- ‘I will be making every effort to come close.’
- ‘Finally, please be careful in your comments posted; we should all make every effort not to offend others with our remarks.’
- ‘With the 2008 Olympics less than a month away, China is making every effort to shed its austere image.’
- ‘The nations who are anti-war need to make every effort to have dialogue with the men of violence.’
- ‘Surely, external agencies will make every effort to disrupt the process.’
- ‘He said staff were now making every effort to encourage new applications for grants.’
- ‘A winner all the way was coach/trainer Mary Morrissey who spared no effort at training sessions to both teams.’
- ‘Of course, doctors' principal duty is to make every effort to save a patient's life.’
- ‘The secessionist/terrorist leaders made every effort to stall the elections.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.