One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make (something) seem more important than it actually is.‘Meadows made a big thing of paying the bill’
- ‘I think they are probably looking for something to make a thing about.’
- ‘Should I just let it slide, or make a big thing of it?’
- ‘The news is making a big thing of it because he's gay.’
- ‘And, of course, my friends across the aisle have made a big thing about that.’
- ‘My mother did not make a big thing of it, but it was impossible to ignore.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.