Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Spades or hearts.→ major
- ‘At the one level a major suit overcall may be made on a four-card holding of exceptional quality.’
- ‘Because of the difference in score, clubs and diamonds are called the minor suits and hearts and spades are the major suits.’
- ‘This bid is forcing to the three level in a major suit or the four level in a minor suit.’
- ‘If the suit is a major suit, the bidder must have at least 3 cards in the suit bid.’
- ‘Opener is required to have five cards in a major suit when she bids it on her first bid.’
Early 20th century: so named because of their higher scoring value.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.