Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of the eight main planets of the solar system, as distinct from an asteroid or moon.
- ‘It has a high-inclination orbit, which means it does not travel around the sun in the same plane as the major planets.’
- ‘The major planets are available at a click, as is a solar system view, which can be animated and its angle of viewing changed.’
- ‘Most of the attention focuses on Pluto's status as one of our solar system's major planets.’
- ‘The asteroids are most likely leftover sloar system bits and stuff captured by the sun and major planets.’
- ‘The apparent paths of the sun, the moon, and the major planets all fall within the zodiac.’
- ‘Spacecraft have flown by every major planet, and most of their important moons, in the solar system.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.